Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Canada Day!

One of the things that I really hope to give to my children is a strong sense of national pride. Everyone should be proud of where they come from. Years ago I remember reading an article by Canadian political columnist Allan Fotheringham where he stated in relation to patriotism that Canadians were just like Americans, just not as loud about it (my apologies if it is not quite the correct quote since it was a long time ago and I couldnt find the quote anywhere on line). The statement really resonated with me. So I am trying to teach my children to be loud about it. Just like the tradition of new jammies on Christmas Eve Katie and Christopher always get new Canada t-shirts before Canada Day.
Every year on Canada Day Regina celebrates the holiday with a big party in Wascana Park. We are so fortunate to have this huge park that covers 2300 acres, making it one of the largest urban parks in North America (Central Park in NY covers 834 acres). Even more amazing is that Wascana Lake was entirely man made! It began as a make work project in the 1930's. We are in the middle of the prairies so every tree, bush and little rise of land had be planted or built.The large building is the provincial legislative buildings. Or as Katie used to call it when she was little, Pooh's Castle. The sky is hazy today with smoke from forest fires in northern Saskatchewan.

Here is Katie checking out the totem in the park.

And Christopher and Katie running under the waterfall. I love the look on Katie's face!

The park is also home to the Wascana Waterfowl Park. There are hundreds of majestic Canada Geese in the park year round. They are beautiful to look at, but some people complain loudly about their numbers. You see, they can be rather "messy."

1 comment:

Aunt Kathy said...

I am not Canadian, but believe me I often wonder why sometimes.

We had that same Christmas Eve tradition of new jammies too in our family. It just wouldn't be Christmas without new jammies and slippers on Christmas morn.

Your pictures are beautiful as are your children. I love that smile too

Happy Canada day a day late