Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Amadeus of Our Generation

When I was in high school (should I even say when that was??) I went on an Easter break trip to England. As the bus full of kids went down the motorway we saw a bill board advertising an Elton John concert taking place that evening. Eighteen teenagers groaned and complained the rest of the trip that we hadn't known about the concert before hand.

I have never forgotten about that missed opportunity.

So 30 years later (you do the math) I finally got to go to an Elton John concert. We went to the Rolling Stones concert a couple of years back (little ole Regina got 2 - count 'em - 2 shows, the only stop on the tour to get more than one date) and that was fun and all, but it was Elton John that really defined the music for my generation growing up.

We were very lucky to get tickets for the concert (without paying exhorbitant scalper fees). Sir Elton played two shows here also, but tickets were nearly impossible to score. Our seats weren't too bad. We had a clear unblocked view of the stage from fairly close. My pictures are very poor quality since I was afraid of taking my good camera with me. I needn't have worried, though, since no one even asked to look in my purse on the way in. It must be a sign of the general age of the audience when the security was almost non-existant.The concert was amazing! Elton sang and played for nearly 3 hours straight - no opening act, no intermission. There was a camera on the keyboard and watching him play was incredible. This man is simply a musical genius.

6 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

Oh that's so exciting...

I agree a musical genius,

Not sure what I am more jealous about though the concert or the trip to England. I'd love to do both

FiberJewels said...

That is so great you got to see him, for me it was Cher, and when she came to our city on her Farewell Tour, I HAD to go, no matter the cost!

Sometimes you've just gotta do what you gotta do!

Ceci said...

Wow! Color me jealous too.

maryeb said...

The link you had in the blog train thread didn't work for me.
The one on your ravelry page did.

What wonder photos you have and I love the title you chose for this post.
Looks like you had a great time.

My Qi and Me said...

Dear Darcie,

Colour me green!!! I adore Elton John. Smart you not to have missed the concert.
I was soo in love-lust with an unrequited love when his "Your Song" was released in 1970 that I still am a little weak-kneed when ever I hear the song. (besides the lyrics I loved the Leon Russell sort of piano playing Elton John does in that song)

Ria said...

I am soooo jealous! I think the pics are great!